All hail the pita! It holds pretty much anything you put in its roomy pockets, making it among the most capacious of breads. So if you’re going to make a pita sandwich, it better be fully loaded. This one does not disappoint: in addition to rounds of roasted sweet potato, it’s packed with slices of creamy avocado, an herby cucumber salad, pine nuts, and a spicy harissa mayo.
- 2 unit Sweet Potato
- 1 tablespoon Harissa Powder
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 unit Cucumber
- ¼ ounce Dill
- 1 unit Avocado
- 3 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 5 teaspoon White Wine Vinegar
- 2 unit Whole Wheat Pitas
- 1 ounce Pine Nuts
- Baking Sheet
- Small Bowl
- Medium Bowl
- Wash and dry all produce. Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Slice sweet potatoes into ¼-inch-thick rounds. Toss on a baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil, 1 tsp harissa powder (we’ll use more later), and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast in oven until tender, about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Mince or grate 1 clove garlic (we sent more). Halve cucumber lengthwise, then slice into thin half-moons. Pick and roughly chop enough fronds from dill to give you 2 tsp. Halve, pit, and peel avocado, then thinly slice.
- In a small bowl, combine 3 TBSP mayonnaise (we sent more), a pinch of garlic, and a pinch of harissa powder. Give mixture a taste and add more garlic and harissa powder as desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, toss cucumber, chopped dill, vinegar, a drizzle of olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cut pitas in half to create 4 pockets and place on another baking sheet. When sweet potatoes are almost done, after 18-20 minutes of roasting, put pitas in oven. Toast until warmed through but not crispy, 2-3 minutes. TIP: If there’s room, you can place pitas on the same baking sheet as sweet potatoes instead of on a second sheet.
- Spread harissa mayo inside each pita half, then fill with sweet potatoes, avocado, a few pine nuts, and a small amount of cucumber salad. Divide stuffed pitas between plates. Add remaining cucumber salad to the side and sprinkle with remaining pine nuts.